Every Tusken Raider wants a trusty bantha to journey round Tatooine. These elephant-size creatures with lengthy ram-like horns first confirmed up in “Star Wars: A New Hope,” and it’s easy to make your own cuddly toy version with some felt, stuffing, thread and a lot of love. Here are the instructions from my book “The Star Wars Craft Book.”
What you want:
- Beige and lightweight tan felt squares
- Pillow stuffing
- Beige pretend fur
- Tan thread
- A stitching needle
- Straight pins
- Chenille stems (additionally known as pipe cleaners)
- Buttons (for eyes)
- Bantha motion determine or photographs for reference
How to make a bantha felt toy:
1. Measure 4 beige felt squares into rectangles. Sew the lengthy edges collectively so you find yourself with one lengthy piece of sewed felt. Then sew one finish to the opposite so that you make an oblong dice.
2. Cut out a sq. of the beige felt and stitch it rigorously to the underside of the dice. This can be one finish of the bantha’s physique.
three. Turn the material inside out and begin stuffing.
four. Cut out one other sq. piece of the beige felt and stitch it rigorously to the tip of the dice. Depending on which finish you want greatest, this can be the place the face will go, or the bantha’s rear. The physique ought to appear to be a cuddly loaf of bread.
5. Cut rectangle-shaped strips of the identical beige material and roll them into brief tubes. Sew the sides collectively.
6. Stuff every tube and stitch circles on each ends. These 4 stuffed tubes would be the bantha’s legs.
7. Cut diagonally on a bit of sunshine tan felt to make two triangles. Roll and stitch every one to appear to be ice cream cones. Put chenille stems in every one then stuff. Use chopsticks to push the stuffing into the hard-to-reach components of the cone. The wire within the stems will aid you twist and place the bantha horns the way in which you need them.
eight. Sew two black buttons on the face for eyes. Fold an extended strip of felt in a single route after which the opposite and stitch it to the top to make a mouth just like the one you see within the picture above.
9. Before you sew the legs on the bantha, place the physique on prime of legs to make sure that they’ll maintain the load of the bantha physique.
10. Sew the legs on to the bantha utilizing a easy whipstitch. It does not have to look fairly, however make sure that the bantha can really stand on its legs. The longer the legs, the more durable it will likely be for the bantha to stand.
11. When the physique is strictly the way you prefer it, sew a rectangle of pretend fur on prime the physique, and stitch a triangle of pretend fur for its beard.
Now that you understand how straightforward it’s, make an entire herd of banthas.
Tech Culture: From movie and tv to social media and video games, here is your place for the lighter aspect of tech.
Star Wars at 40: Join us in celebrating the various methods the Force-filled sci-fi saga has impacted our lives.